- 4 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes – (approx. 10-12 medium potatoes)
- Whole milk
- 4 cloves garlic – peel and coarsely smash with the side of your knife. You want the pieces to be large enough to easily strain out
- Coarse sea salt to taste
- 1 stick of butter – unsalted and softened
- ½ cup sour cream – optional
- Chives – finely chopped to garnish, or use chopped green onion or parsley
Cook Potatoes – peel and cut potatoes into halves or quarters if larger then rinse in cold water. Note: keep peeled potatoes in water so they don’t discolor. Put potatoes in a pot, cover with cold water and boil 15-18 minutes or until easily pierced.
Warm the milk – when potatoes are nearly done cooking, in a small saucepan, combine milk and smashed garlic. Heat just until steaming then remove from heat.
Drain the potatoes and keep them in the same pot to mash.
Drizzle in hot milk to reach your desired texture. Cut butter into chunks and mash them into the potatoes until well incorporated. Add 1/4 cup sour cream and 1 to 1 1/2 tsp salt or add salt to taste.
Serve drizzled with melted butter and chopped chives.