For the Steak
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons lime juice* (from 2 limes)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound sirloin steak (cut into 1-inch pieces, or sirloin steak tips)
- For the Vegetables
- 2 small or 1 medium zucchini (sliced into ½-inch thick rounds)
- 1 red onion (cut into 1-inch chunks with a few layers still together)
- 1 red bell pepper (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
Combine the steak marinade ingredients in a zip-top plastic bag or bowl: soy sauce, lime juice, 2 tablespoons olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Whisk or squish the bag to mix.
Add the steak pieces to the marinade. Let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours and up to 8 hours.
If using wooden skewers, soak them in a dish of warm water for at least 20 minutes. You will need 8 skewers.
When you are ready to assemble the skewers, place the zucchini rounds and bell peppers in a large bowl. Drizzle with the 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat evenly. Add the onion to the bowl last and mix in very gently so that the onion layers stay together as best as possible.
To assemble the kebabs, divide the steak and vegetables evenly between the 8 skewers, arranging the vegetable pieces in between the steak pieces. Discard all of the used steak marinade.
Grill over medium heat for about 10-15 minutes, turning every few minutes to cook all sides evenly. Cook until steak registers 145° F in the center for medium. Cook a few minutes longer for well-done steak.